Thursday, March 3, 2011

Add a P to the PPD...

Now, I don't have kids yet (which isn't all that bad now that I know - per my sister's last post - that it could lead to me eating paper to survive), so bare with me on this one...

My friend’s baby is precious, but she cried the entire time I was taking care of her. Cried might be an understatement. It was more like crying and screaming mixed together. It made me feel so bad like I was doing something wrong. I couldn’t figure it out, so I just had to let her cry.

After she left, I fell onto my bed and didn’t wake up for 2 hours and didn’t even want to get out of bed after that, but I made myself. I started thinking this might be what postpartum depression (PPD) kind of feels like. Maybe it’s a long stretch, but I think I suffered a bout of it today.........I googled it and one of the causes is “worries about your ability as a mother.” The baby crying for all 2.5 hours that I was with her put me in a huge funk and made me question my ability to be a good mom. Like…if I can’t figure this out…I’m going to be horrible at this whole mother thing…so then I just felt like sleeping the beautiful day away.

I know what your thinking, “Amy, don’t be stupid…you didn’t actually have a baby, nor are you even pregnant…there’s no way you could be suffering from that!!!” AND since I’m well aware this, I’m willing to settle on my little episode being referred to as “Pre Postpartum Depression” (PPPD)!!!

Now you're thinking I might be on to something with this theory...or just on something...period.

4 comments:

  1. You are one of the ONLY people in the world who can claim to have kept Claire without her shedding a tear ... and that is saying something!

    So great to see you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) I have a feeling I know which baby you are referring to, and I'm pretty sure the only reason she didn't cry with her own mother that day is because I'm her primary food source. It was a rough 2 weeks.
    B) You're going to be a great mom!
    C)I had no idea you had a blog!
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Amy, it happened to me too. I don't know what I'll do if our girls are criers!!

    Kallie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now you've officially reached the "neighbors" eschalon of your blog readership. Congrats.
    -jax

    ReplyDelete